Silver Thiosulfate Mix
Silver Thiosulfate is often used to block the action of ethylene in plant cell cultures. Ethylene gas is a hormone that increases during senescence and ripening. It may increase in plant cell cultures due to wounding or presence of auxins. Silver Thiosulfate (STS) blocks the action of ethylene more effectively than silver nitrate.
- Pouch 1 - 1.58 g of Sodium Thiosulfate
- Pouch 2 - 1.7 g of Silver Nitrate
- Solutions should be made from these two pouches and then combined to make the final product.
Prepare as follows:
- Dissolve pouch 1 (1.58g Sodium Thiosulfate) in 100 mL water to create a 0.1M stock solution
- Dissolve pouch 2 (1.7g Silver Nitrate) in 100 mL water to create a 0.1M stock solution.
- Prepare 0.02M (20mM) Silver Thiosulfate by adding 20 mL 0.1 M silver nitrate into 80 mL 0.1M sodium thiosulfate (or amounts in ration of 4 parts thiosulfate solution to 1 part silver nitrate solution). Store up to 30 days refrigerated (best to use fresh each time).
- Store in the dark. STS can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a month. However, it is best when made just prior to use, as it will oxidize quickly.
|Shelf Life||:||30 days in solution|
|Hazardous Shipping||:||Hazardous Shipping Applies|